Ever wondered where to start with getting selling on Google? A good place is to identify if your target market searches for you online. The only way to do that is to find keywords that they might use, and then find out if there is enough searches per month to make the keyword worth going after. Before we start, I just need to advise you that a keyword may sometimes actually represent a keyword search phrase so may sometimes actually be 2 or more words long! I use the terms interchangeably but I mean the same thing.
The following tips are aimed at beginners and are a way to get started with Search Engine Optimisation.
- Open the Google Keyword Tool
- Research your keywords by starting off with something that describes you – such as “accountant Bristol”, “florist Clifton” etc. Districts are easier than towns but will have a lot less traffic. Enter the keyword in the box that is marked word or phrase, you don’t need to fill in any other fields at this stage, and click Search
- Look through the list and select 3 to 10 which are closely related. If you wish you can download the list into Excel to work on by clicking Download then All. You WILL need the reverse of the keyword phrase as well as plurals and singular. This means “Bristol accountant” and “accountant Bristol” are NOT the same, as “Bristol accountant” and “Bristol accountants” are not the same either!
An example of a good, closely related keyword list is:
- Accountant Bristol
- Accountants Bristol
- Accountants in Bristol
- Bristol accountants
- Chartered accountants Bristol
- Bristol accountant
- Top tip – to start just plan to use your homepage as it’s easier and faster to get ranked, for the purposes of this blog we will presume you use only your homepage. Later on you may wish to use other pages for other keyword phrases too
- Look at the LOCAL monthly searches
- Ignore the competition field as this is used to find AdWords competition
- Search volumes of up to 500 are easier and faster to get on the front page for
- Higher search volumes than 3,000 are competitive and mean it will take longer
Now you have your keyword list, you’re ready to move onto the next stage, competing the SEO Setup. More on this will follow next week in this SEO tutorial series!
If you have any questions or if you’re struggling, please do comment below. If you’d like to receive a quote for our SEO Services starting from £30 per month – please give us a call on 0800 3277327 or email us at email@example.com
This post was written by admin